Storytelling is pervasive in everything that we do, including marketing ourselves. As a Certified Career Development Practitioner working with professionals in career transition, I help individuals craft their story to emphasize the skills, knowledge, and experience they possess relevant to their desired career.
The elements that most great stories have in common:
- there are a hero and a villain, which could be a person, place, or thing
- it touches our emotions
- it inspires us
- we get to root for the hero
- only the core elements of the story are shared
- they start with a WHY
- they often have a universal element
- they lead to a goal
These elements can be utilized when preparing "stories" aka "accomplishments" for your résumé, as well as preparing for job interviews. I use the "CAR" formula to help clients identify and describe their stories.
- C - what challenges did you face
- A - what action did you take
- R - what was the result
Being able to effectively communicate your skills through storytelling can lead to the desired outcome -- the employment offer. If you need assistance with telling your story to achieve your career goal, contact firstname.lastname@example.org