As we get back into a routine from summer activities, it's a good time to take stock of our career documents including our résumé and LinkedIn profile.
The labour market is continuously changing and new opportunities can come up quickly. If your dream job became available tomorrow, are you ready to apply for it? Are your résumé and LinkedIn profile current with your accomplishments, skills, and certifications?
Consider the following questions:
- Is your content targeted to your desired position?
- Have you specified the value you bring to an employer?
- Is your format current and easy to read with the use of subheadings?
- Are your skills highlighted and have you used keywords to optimize search functions?
- Have you updated your education, training, and certifications?
- Have you included any client or company testimonials about your work performance?
- Are your work experience and accomplishments up to date?
- Have you included your customized LinkedIn URL and checked your contact information?
- Have you included up to 10 - 15 years of relevant work experience?
If you have answered no to any of these questions, then it is time to update your résumé.
Your résumé needs to identify who you are, what you're good at, how you can contribute to the organization, and what type of position you're interested in.
Résumés are scanned quickly by either a human and or an Applicant Tracking System. To capture the attention of the reader, you need to make an immediate impression.
The month of September has been designated " International Update Your Résumé Month " as an annual reminder for individuals to review their résumé, LinkedIn profile and other career documents.
This is the 17th year for International Update Your Résumé Month, originally created by Career Directors International in 2001 to support job seekers worldwide.
For assistance with updating your résumé or a complete résumé makeover, contact a Professional Résumé Writer today. Elaine@allycareersolutions.com